If you are new to the world of weight management, you may believe that the best way to starting losing weight is to change what you eat. So you count your calories, eat more vegetables, cut out junk food, and start hitting the gym. But if you aren’t monitoring what you drink, you may be omitting a crucial piece of the weight loss puzzle.
August 2021. This article is independently written by Fusion 360. All opinions given are the opinion of Fusion 360
The first rule of weight loss is you have to burn more calories than you consume. Empty calories are the Achilles heel of weight loss. That one beer we have with our friends at the bar on Friday, the coke we sip after a long bike ride, the caramel macchiato we can’t live without… all of those drinks are full of empty calories with no nutritional benefits and plenty of fats and sugars.
The best drinks to sip when you are trying to lose weight may not be as satisfying in the beginning, but your body will thank you for the nourishment in the long run. These five drinks for weight loss are low in calories and contain essential building blocks for a healthy body.
This probably won’t come as a surprise, but water is your new best friend if you are trying to lose weight. Your body runs on water the way a car runs on oil and gasoline. You won’t get very far without it. Water heals our system from the inside out by clearing our system of toxins, suppressing our appetite, and boosting our metabolism.
A comprehensive analysis of several studies on the effects of water on weight loss concluded that replacing caloric beverages with water is the most effective way to use water to lose weight. So if you are trying to find a substitution for sugary sodas, seltzer water can provide a refreshing calorie-free alternative.
Green tea is an ancient beverage well-known for its healing properties. This bitter, light green beverage contains both catechins and caffeine and is particularly adept at boosting our metabolism. Our metabolism is the system in our body that turns the calories from our food and drink into energy.
Consuming beverages that contain catechins can reduce body weight, BMI, waist circumference, body fat mass, and subcutaneous fat (the fat layer directly below your skin). In addition, caffeine increases the rate at which you burn fat at rest. The potent combination of catechins and caffeine in green tea guarantees it a place on this list.
We all like our coffee a certain way- black, with milk and sugar, caramel, soy milk, cream… An entire culture exists around this simple morning beverage. The caffeine in coffee boosts our resting metabolic rate (similar to green tea), but this rich and bitter beverage has a lot more to offer than a small energy boost.
Coffee comes from a berry that contains niacin, potassium, magnesium, and antioxidants. All of these nutrients play an important role in our bodies. Niacin promotes healthy cholesterol, potassium helps control our blood pressure, magnesium supports muscle function, and antioxidants reduce inflammation. On its own, coffee is a superfood.
BUT when we start to add sugar and fat, caramel and cream, our daily dose of nutrients becomes the equivalent of drinking an ice cream sundae. So if you do have to add a little something to your morning cup of joe, try non-dairy milk alternatives like soy, oat, or macadamia milk instead.
Green juices are trending in the health and wellness field for a good reason. Fruits and vegetables are an essential part of our diet. They contain the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that we need to live. Include these five fruits and vegetables in your next green juice for added weight loss benefits.
- Celery is 95% water, low in calories, and very fibrous. However, when you put a vegetable through the juicer, most of the fiber is removed. Thankfully, celery also contains antioxidants that combat inflammation across the body.
- Beets are excellent for promoting healthy digestion. They contain dietary nitrates, which improve athletic performance by increasing the efficiency and endurance of your muscles. Nitrates also reduce high blood pressure by dilating your blood vessels.
- Watermelon, like celery, is high in water and low in calories. It helps you manage your weight by filling you up and preventing overeating. It also contains potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- Citrus, including lemons, limes, and oranges, contain vitamin C, which nutritionists now believe has some influence on body weight (although the exact influence has yet to be defined). What they do know is that too little vitamin C has been linked to a higher body mass index (BMI), and too much can prevent your body from absorbing other essential nutrients.
- Carrots contain carotenoids, a natural plant pigment with amazing weight-loss implications. A 2020 study found that people with obesity who consume a beverage rich in carotenoids daily lose more belly fat over time. Carrots also double as a natural “sweetener” to combat the more bitter vegetables in your juice.
A high protein diet boosts your metabolism and influences the body’s fat-burning hormones. Protein triggers the release of satiety hormones from the small intestine to help us feel full faster. If your weight loss plan includes any form of movement or exercise, your body will be craving protein. This is because your body uses protein to build muscle, and muscle burns more calories than fat.
Protein shakes are an easy way to add a significant portion of protein to your diet. The protein in shakes can come from whey (an animal-based protein) or plants (made from rice, pea, soy, or seeds). Be sure to look at the label to be sure that there are no added sugars or artificial ingredients that you do not recognize. The fewer ingredients, the better off you will be.
Fighting Your Cravings
If you regularly drink a lot of your calories, be mindful of how you replace your favorite drinks. If you love your coffee with more milk and sugar than coffee, use a non-dairy creamer with honey or maple syrup to help you get used to the change. Exchange seltzers for sodas, tea for juice, fresh fruit mocktails for cocktails.
Allow your body time to change as you incorporate these new drinks that will help you lose weight while improving your overall health. And if you’re dealing with aches and pains along the way, don’t forget your Kailo nanotech patch! It’s easy to use and you’re more than welcome to reach out to our expert team with any questions.